If you are moving temporarily to a foreign country, taking your vehicle with you can be a great way to travel around and make the most of your time away.

Of course, there are a lot of fees and expenses that can quickly build up when traveling abroad. Traveling with a vehicle can be especially costly.

Because of this, if you want to avoid paying customs duty and taxes on your vehicle, an easy way to ensure your car will still be granted entry into certain countries is by obtaining a Carnet de Passages en Douane.

This is common for travelers with motorhomes or caravans due to it often being quite expensive to rent these vehicles for a long period of time while overseas.



A Carnet de Passages en Douane is a document that you need if you want to take your car temporarily into certain foreign countries, without paying import taxes.

It is almost like a passport for your car, it basically allows customs officials to see that you are only bringing the car into the country temporarily. This, in turn, means you can avoid costly taxes.

The conditions are that you must make sure your vehicle leaves the country by the time limit on your carnet. If you don’t do this you could end up having to pay the duties and taxes that would normally be required.

Your Carnet de Passages is usually valid for one year after its issue date.

A Carnet de Passages is required in a number of countries throughout the world including:

– Australia
– New Zealand
– The United Kingdom
– South Africa
– Indonesia
– India



You must apply for your Carnet de Passages in your country of residence. In Australia, if you wish to gain a Carnet de Passage it is recommended that you contact your nearest motoring club for an application form or contact the team at Willship International for advice and links to obtain one.

As well as your application form you should also provide security for your carnet. This can come in the form of either an indemnity executed by an approved financial institution, a cash deposit in the form of a bank check or a premium paid for a special indemnity insurance policy.

The exact amount you will have to pay will depend on the type of car being used, the market value of the car and the country you are visiting.

Of course, the security will be released after your trip when you bring your car back and return you carnet to the place from where it was obtained.

On top of this, there are still some things you should watch out for applying for/using a carnet.

First, if you plan to drive the vehicle on the roads at your destination, then your vehicle must be registered in your home country for the duration of your carnet, however if the vehicle is strictly used for motorsport or off road purposes then this will not apply.

You should also check if your home country vehicle insurance covers traveling abroad. Most don’t so you may need to purchase extra insurance.

Hopefully, this guide has been able to offer a bit of an insight into what a Carnet de Passages en Douane is and how you can get one.

If you are traveling abroad and need help with shipping your car, Willship offers a range of shipping options that can help your vehicle arrive in the country you are visiting quickly and safely.

For more info give Willship a call on (61) 7 3267 3694, or enquire online to find out how we can help you!