The below is a list of frequently asked questions we get asked often here at Willship, please use this as a quick reference guide for general questions and information. however, If you are unable to find the answer to your question below, feel free to contact us at any time by clicking here
If you would like to get a free quotation along with comprehensive information on the process then please use our automated quote calculator located in the tab at the top of our website.
- What can be shipped overseas?
- We can ship cars, boats, caravans, motorcycles, trucks, trailers and tractors overseas.
- Is it safe to ship a car overseas?
- Yes. When you ship your vehicle with a trusted professional partner, like Willship, you can rest assured that it will arrive as promised: safely, soundly, and on time.
- What are the different shipping options available?
- Roll-on/Roll- off shipping is the most common (and cheapest!) shipping method. You can also ship your car in an exclusive shipping container.
- How long does it take to ship a car overseas?
- It depends on where you’re shipping to. If you are shipping from Australia to either The UK or New Zealand you can check using our instant quote form. If you have a different trip planned please contact us for the shipping times.
- How do I prepare my car for shipping?
- Wash your car, remove items from inside the car, remove or secure any loose parts, perform a maintenance check and leave the tank ¼ full.We’ve written an article that goes into more detail for each preparation - How to prepare a car for shipping.
- Can I leave personal belongings in the car when I ship it overseas?
- If you are shipping your car in a container, it is fine to leave some belongings in the car. However if you choose to ship your car using the RORO (Roll on, Roll off) method you are not permitted to leave any belongings in the car.
- How can I ship multiple vehicles overseas?
- Via the Roll-on/Roll-off shipping method or the container shipping method.For more info please read this article - Best way to ship multiple vehicles overseas.
- What is the cost to ship a car overseas?
- If you are shipping from Australia to either the UK or New Zealand you can check using our instant quote calculator. If you have a different trip planned please contact us for costs.
- How do I get my car from house to port?
- There are two main ways to get your car from your house to the port. These are dropping your car off at the shipping company yourself, or getting the shipping company to pick-up your car.For more info please read this article - How to get my car from house to port.
- Can I ship a boat overseas?
- Yes we can ship boats overseas.This article goes into detail on the methods available - How to ship a boat overseas.
- What is RORO Shipping?
- The best way to think of a Roll on, Roll off vessel is like a huge underground floating carpark. Vehicles are driven up a ramp and onto one of the many decks of the vessel. All vehicles are then secured from four points with lashing straps to ensure they are secure for transit.Often people have an image in their mind of an open air barge or a ferry, although this is not the case. The cargo is not exposed to the elements in any way and modern Roll on, Roll off shipping is a very cheap and safe method of international transport.For pictures and more info please see this article: Roll on, roll off shipping, how it’s done.
- Can I ship a motorcycle overseas?
- Much like shipping a car, there are two main ways that you can ship a motorcycle abroad. RORO and container shipping. Both ways are quick, safe and effective and will see your motorbike arrive at its destination without any problems.Please see: Best way to ship a motorcycles overseas
- What is a Carnet De Passages?
- A Carnet de Passages en Douane is a document that you need if you want to take your car temporarily into certain foreign countries, without paying import taxes.It is almost like a passport for your car, it basically allows customs officials to see that you are only bringing the car into the country temporarily. This, in turn, means you can avoid costly taxes.one?Please see: What is a Carnet de Passages?
- Can I ship a caravan overseas?
- Yes, Willship offers caravan / motorhome shipping via a Roll on, Roll off vessle.If you need help with preparing your caravan for shipping please see: What to prepare when shipping a caravan abroad.
- What’s the best way to ship a classic car overseas?Normally when choosing to ship your car overseas you have two choices; roll-on/roll-off shipping and container shipping.However, when shipping a classic car it can be advantageous to choose container shipping.Please see: How to safely ship my classic car overseas
- Do I need to leave fuel in the car when shipping overseas?Before boarding make sure your gas tank is no more than a quarter full (and no less than one-eighth full.
- Can a non-runner car be shipped internationally?We do accommodate vehicles that are inoperable. Although we do not charge for the additional equipment needed to transport inoperable vehicles.
- How long should I plan in advance to ship my car overseas?We recommend that you book your car shipping transport at least two weeks in advance.
- Do you ship vehicles that do not fit inside containers?Yes we can ship oversized vehicles using the Roll On, Roll Off shipping method.
- What is included in the quotation?Each quote will have a list of inclusions and exclusions, these vary depending on your origin port, destination port, and how much you’re willing to do yourself. Feel free to call or email us if you need any clarification about exactly what you’re quote includes. We are very much against hidden charges and additional costs here at Willship so we want to make sure you are clear on exactly what the move will cost.
- What insurance options are there?Full ‘All risks’ transit insurance can be arranged for any shipment we move around the world. The rate for most vehicles is 1% of the vehicles value, minimum AUD 250.00 for a policy. Please contact us if you would like a copy of the policy information.
- Are you able to store my vehicle until I am ready for it?Yes, we are able to store the vehicle prior to shipping if need be, costs vary depending on the export port and your circumstances so please get in touch with us if you would like a quote.
- Will I need to deal with customs authorities when shipping my car overseas?No, we handle everything on your behalf and simply keep you updated through the process. You will not need to deal directly with customs or quarantine at the destination port.
- Do I need to be present when my vehicle is delivered?No, you do not need to be present, it can be received by a friend or family member, or we can deliver it directly into a compliance workshop.
- What documents do I need in order to export a car?We require the following documentation in order to arrange the shipping of your vehicle –
· Purchase Invoice
· Registration certificate
· Copy of the photo page of your passport
Some further information or documentation may be applicable, although this varies depending on the destination and what you are shipping. Please get in touch with us if you would like confirmation on exactly what’s required.